Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jan. 20: Alabama Gallery: Marcia Weber Art Objects

Ok, so I know I had WAY more fun at the '09 FolkFest in Atlanta than you did. . . but I really liked the collections from this gallery & K at work told me it was a great place to visit. It's in Montgomery: Marcia Weber Art Objects.  

How could you not be moved by this mission?
The Mission of the gallery remains the same today as it was when the gallery was Marcia Weber Art Objects, Inc. is dedicated to trying to locate, to promote and to preserve the art of genuine contemporary folk and outsider artists. The gallery supports photo documentation and primary field research to establish facts concerning the lives, works and environments of these artists. A special emphasis is placed on artists who are still alive. Gallery research is shared with any interested party. Source documents are donated to libraries to aid and to insure the possibility of future research in this field.


Here's a sampling of a few artists and works I like, in no particular order:

Title: Parlor Tunes
Artist: Tory Casey
Size: 10.5 x 13.5
Medium: acrylic on canvas in artist's black frame
Price: $300



Title: Moonlight Serenade
Artist: Tory Casey
Born: 1951
Location: North Carolina
Size: 15.5 x 12.5
Medium: acrylic on canvas in artist's black frame
Price: $400


Title: Full Moon Valley
Artist:  Eric Legge
Location: Rubun Gap, GA
Size: 44 x 31.75
Medium: Acrylic on wood
Price: $900



Title: Wolf Fork Sunset
Artist:  Eric Legge
Location: Rubun Gap, GA
Size: 9.75 x 11.75
Medium: Acrylic on wood
Price: $155




Title: Fredia's House
Artist: Della Wells
Born: 1951
Location: North Carolina?
Medium: Collage on paper in natural frame
Size: 26.5 x 20.5
Price: $1000




Title: Listen Little One the Time Is Near
Artist: Della Wells (seen on her site, not the gallery's)
Born: 1951
Location: North Carolina?
Medium: Mixed Media collageSize: 16 x 12
Price: $550

Plus, so many of their bios are just so quaint and interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I like the top two best. It would be interesting to know more about the artists. I'm going to spend some more time over the next few days looking at these and maybe finding out what I can about the painters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first two alot--despite their simplicity. I like the scenes. I don't know if I'd want them in our collection yet. . .while it's still small. But I love the idea of collecting music scenes--active ones of people playing and being together. Transformative scenes.

    The second guy has some real eclectic stuff. . . he grows on me. I like the colors of the hills. . . not sure I like the painting of the frame. It kind of reduces the professionalism to me, but maybe that's part of what makes it folk art. But I love the reflections in the water.

    The collages really fascinate me. They look like they would be fun to do--and likely deceptively simple looking--cutting out pieces of magazines and putting them together to create a picture. Bits of fabric, buttons, little jewels. . . but if I'd done it there'd be signs of glue and smudge and thickness everywhere. The majority of her scenes, if not all, are of African Americans. I find that interesting too and wonder what connection that has in her mind with the medium, if any.

    ReplyDelete